Posts Tagged "Cemetery"

St. Ignatius Church, Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland

Posted by on May 23, 2012 in Blog | 4 comments

St. Ignatius Church, Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland

-  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - St. Ignatius in Port Tobacco, Charles County, Maryland is the nation’s oldest active parish with a continual pastorate.  It was founded in 1641 by the Reverend Andrew White, S.J., who accompanied Catholic Settlers to Maryland in 1634.  Jesuit priests have been in residence on this site since 1641 attending to the spiritual needs of Catholics.  The church and its accompanying manor house, a residence for priests at Chapel Point for more than 300 years, is located on a 120-foot bluff overlooking the confluence of the Port Tobacco and...

Read More

Harshaw Chapel and Cemetery

Posted by on Feb 27, 2012 in Blog | 3 comments

Harshaw Chapel and Cemetery

-  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - Harshaw Chapel and Cemetery is located at the junction of Church and Central Streets in Murphy, North Carolina.  It was built in 1869 by Joshua Harshaw, who was a prominent slaveholder in the area.   It is in the Greek Revival style and was designed by James Warner Cooper.  No longer used by the Harshaw family or the descendants of the original congregation, it is now managed by North Carolina’s Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.  It was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in April 1984. Beyond...

Read More
This site is protected by WP-CopyRightPro