Eastern View Schoolhouse

Eastern View Schoolhouse, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

Eastern View Schoolhouse, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

Eastern View Schoolhouse

The Eastern View Schoolhouse was originally constructed and located at Eastern View Farm, near Owenton, King and Queen County, Virginia. It was constructed about 1870, used first as a private and then a public school until about 1903. It was the last remaining log built school in King and Queen County.  The county, which lies east of Richmond on Virginia’s Middle Peninsula, is one of the most rural counties in the state which helps explain the size of the school which is one of the tiniest I have ever seen.

Eastern View Schoolhouse Interior, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

Eastern View Schoolhouse Interior, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

The school was donated to the King and Queen Courthouse Tavern Museum by Marian Minor, owner of Eastern View Farm.  It was moved to its present site on the King and Queen Courthouse Green Historic District, which is near Shacklefords in November, 2003. The original Historic District had been set in 1998.  The Historic District underwent a boundary increase in 2013 to include Immanuel Episcopal Church and its cemetery.  At no time was the school deemed a contributing building to the Historic District, probably because it had been translated to the site and was not original to its current location.

The rehabilitation by community volunteers took the best part of a year.  Opened on October 25, 2004 as a part of the permanent exhibit, this 16-by-14-foot structure is furnished as a late 19th-century log schoolhouse.

Eastern View Schoolhouse Bell, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

Eastern View Schoolhouse Bell, Courthouse Tavern Museum, King & Queen Court House, Virginia

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

Adjacent to the Log Schoolhouse is the bell from the old Marriott School, located near St. Stephens Church, that burned in the late 1930s and was rebuilt shortly thereafter without the need of a bell.

Summary
Eastern View Schoolhouse
Article Name
Eastern View Schoolhouse
Description
The Eastern View Schoolhouse, the last log schoolhouse in King & Queen County, was built about 1870. Used first as a private then public school until closing in 1903
Author
Publisher Name
Mark Summerfield
Publisher Logo

2 Comments

  1. Very interesting, thanks for sharing, great series

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.