Posts Tagged "Antigua"

The Churches of St. Paul and St. Barnabas, Antigua

Posted by on Feb 3, 2014 in Blog | 4 comments

The Churches of St. Paul and St. Barnabas, Antigua

Parish of St. Paul with St. Barnabas Today we are going to visit another couple of the beautiful and, in one case charismatic, churches on my favorite Caribbean island, Antigua.  These two are located just over a mile of each other within the parish that bears both their names: St. Paul and St. Barnabas. -  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - St. Paul’s Church, Falmouth The site of this church is of historic importance, because it is the site on which some authorities claim that the first church in Antigua was built sometime between 1670 and 1675.  Detailed histories are...

Read More

The View from Fort James

Posted by on Sep 11, 2013 in Blog | 8 comments

The View from Fort James

-  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - The View from Fort James, St. John’s Harbour, Antigua In the last post we learned the history of Fort James which is one of the two forts guarding the entrance to St. John’s Harbour, Antigua.  Located in the white building at the end of the point on which the fort sits, which I believe was the Captain of the Fort’s quarters, is Russell’s Bar and Seafood Restaurant.  When we stay on the island we make a point of visiting Russell’s at least once to have a beer and enjoy the view from Fort James.  Being that we always...

Read More

Fort James, St. John’s Harbour, Antigua

Posted by on Sep 9, 2013 in Blog | 6 comments

Fort James, St. John’s Harbour, Antigua

-  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - Fort James, St. John’s Harbour, Antigua After visiting a civil war era fort just outside Savannah, Georgia in the last post we move south into the Caribbean and back in history a hundred years or so to a fort built in the first decade of the 18th century.  Fort James is one of the two forts which guard the entrance to St. John’s Harbour, Antigua. There was, in fact, an earlier defensive system on the site.  In 1680, Colonel James Vaughn had granted rights to King Charles II of England for the purpose of building a fort to guard the...

Read More

St George’s Church, Antigua

Posted by on Jul 29, 2013 in Blog | 2 comments

St George’s Church, Antigua

- Click on the image to enlarge or purchase - St George’s Church in Fitches Creek, Antigua is one of the oldest churches on the island.  The first chapel on the site was erected in 1687.  It was designated as the Parish Church in 1725.  The Parish of St George is one of the six parishes on the island. Being in the Caribbean means that buildings are susceptible to hurricane damage.  St George’s Church was not spared, suffering serious damage twice that we know of. The first time was in 1950.  This was the first year the Atlantic hurricane database gave the storms names.  The...

Read More

Betty’s Hope Details Part 2

Posted by on Mar 20, 2013 in Blog, Newsletter | 10 comments

Betty’s Hope Details Part 2

-  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  - In the last post we started to look at some of the details of the Betty’s Hope windmills.  (click here to learn more about life on a Caribbean Sugar Plantation). We left that post with a view of the entrance into the windmill to where the mechanism for grinding the sugar cane can be found.  As we see in the image above, this appears to be in very good condition and, if there were full sails on the vanes of the windmill, would probably work.  The vanes, though, now consist of just the main strut with no ability to move with the...

Read More
This site is protected by WP-CopyRightPro