– Click on the image to enlarge or purchase –
The Marshall Virginia Anglican Church of St. John The Baptist is housed in the oldest church still in use in the town. It was built in 1849 by local builder William Sutton. Then known as Trinity Episcopal Church, it was part of the Piedmont Parish of the Episcopal Church.
The Gothic Revival church sits on a one-and-a-quarter acre site which cost $200 to acquire. The citizens of Salem, as Marshall was called up until 1881, provided the $2,500 needed to build the church.
During the Civil War the building was used as a field hospital by the Union Army. The building was heavily damaged but completely repaired.
The Colonial Revival style portico and steeple were added during a 1923 restoration.
Regular services were held in the Trinity Episcopal Church until 1997. The Anglican Parish of St. John The Baptist acquired the building following some extensive renovations later the same year with the church being rededicated on October 26, 1997.
The church is included as one of the 217 contributing buildings that constitute the Marshall Historic District. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.