The Hokes Mill Covered Bridge spans Second Creek outside Ronceverte in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The bridge is 12 feet wide and 81 feet, 6 inches long. The superstructure consists of a modified version of the patented Long Truss with board-and-batten siding and a standing seam metal roof. The Long Truss design resembles a Howe truss with the diagonal trusses angled up towards the center from each end. The difference, though, is that a Long Truss is made entirely of wood instead of a combination of wood and metal.
The construction of the bridge was one of the decisions of the Greenbrier County Court during its April 1897 session. Messrs. B. F. Mann, R. A. McDowell and Austin B. Erwin were appointed commissioners responsible for the construction of a covered bridge on stone abutments above Smith’s Mill (formerly Hoke’s Mill). The total cost was $700. The court records do not specify a date of the completion of the bridge, but various orders were issued between January 1898 and March 1899 for road repairs in the Irish Corner district. A payment order for $175 was the only one specifically referenced to the construction of the bridge. Therefore, the bridge had to have been completed between April 1897 and March 1899.
The bridge was restored by Allegheny Restoration in 2001. In only 6 months, the bridge was dismantled, repaired and reassembled. The images seen here, taken as the sun was beginning to sink behind the mountains in the summer 2013 show the excellent job the restoration team has done.
Hokes Mill Covered Bridge is one of two remaining covered bridges in Greenbrier County, the other being Herns Mill Covered Bridge. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.