James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith, James Anderson's Blacksmith Shop, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

Blacksmith, James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop

James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop is located behind James Anderson’s house on the south side of Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg.  Anderson operated the blacksmith and armorer’s shop on the site from the 1770s until he died in 1798.

Anderson was appointed public armourer in 1776 by the General Assembly of the newly independent Commonwealth of Virginia.  This work included the cleaning and repairing of muskets, swords and bayonets and the manufacture of nails, axes, tomahawks and vehicle hardware.  In the wake of his appointment, Anderson enlarged his small, commercial blacksmithing operation into an extensive and diverse public manufactory. The new buildings, which include the armoury, a kitchen, privy, two storage buildings and a tinsmith’s shop.

Blacksmith, James Anderson's Blacksmith Shop, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

Blacksmith, James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop, Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

In November, 2013, Colonial Williamsburg finished a reconstruction project on James Anderson’s small industrial complex.  As with all Colonial Williamsburg reconstruction projects, it was undertaken using 18th-century methods to prepare materials and hardware, lay foundations, and frame and finish the structures.  As much as possible of the building fabrication was undertaken by Colonial Williamsburg’s Historic Trades – brickmakers and masons, carpenters, joiners and blacksmiths. The sole modern aspects are those few elements that require modern utilities—wiring, security and safety systems, fire suppression systems and other code requirements.

Click here to learn more about visiting Colonial Williamsburg

Summary
James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop
Article Name
James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop
Description
James Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop is located behind James Anderson’s house on the south side of Duke of Gloucester Street in Colonial Williamsburg
Author
Publisher Name
Mark Summerfield
Publisher Logo

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.