Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua (Part 4)

Posted by on May 16, 2012 in Blog | 0 comments

Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua (Part 4)

This is the final part of  our tour of Nelson’s Dockyard at English Harbour in Antigua (Part 1 can be seen here, Part 2 here and Part 3 here).

During the nineteenth century, with the advent of steam-powered ships, which needed less attention than their sailed counterparts, and coinciding with a decline in British interest in the region, the dockyard slowly fell into disuse, finally closing in 1889.  Over the next 60 years the various buildings took a battering from hurricanes and earthquakes, until in the 1950s there began a major renovation project with the dockyard hosting yachts from the burgeoning charter industry.  In 1961 the dockyard was officially reopened as both a working harbour and a tourist attraction.

Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

It was a result of the reopening that the area got the name “Nelson’s Dockyard”.  Apparently, the Antigua tourist board decided that a famous title was required to help in marketing the area.  They decided to name it after the heralded British admiral, who as a young British naval officer, was stationed here for three years.  Ironically, Nelson did not like the island at all, referring to it in his correspondence as “this infernal hole” and a “vile spot”.

Nelson's Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

Nelson’s Dockyard, English Harbour, Antigua

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

As these images, and the many thousand of tourists who visit this island bear witness, Nelson’s view is not held by many today.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.