Boardman House

Consular Offices of the Embassy of Iraq, Boardman House, 1801 P Street NW, Washington DC

Consular Offices of the Embassy of Iraq, Boardman House, 1801 P Street NW, Washington DC

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

Boardman House

The Boardman House on the corner of 18th and P Streets, NW in Washington DC now houses the consular offices of the Embassy of Iraq.  This building was originally designed in 1893 for Mabel Boardman, the American philanthropist best known for her involvement with the American Red Cross.  The architects were Joseph Hornblower and James Marshall who had designed numerous substantial government and other buildings including the National Museum of Natural History in Washington and the US Custom House in Baltimore.  The building is architecturally notable for its orange Roman bricks.  Their thinness requires a greater number of courses than is usual to create a building of this height.  These extra brick courses combined with the splayed jack arches over the windows gives this somewhat staid facade a little panache.

Consular Offices of the Embassy of Iraq, Boardman House, 1801 P Street NW, Washington DC

Consular Offices of the Embassy of Iraq, Boardman House, 1801 P Street NW, Washington DC

–  Click on the image to enlarge or purchase  –

Click here to learn more about Washington DC’s diverse architecture

Summary
Boardman House
Article Name
Boardman House
Description
The Boardman House on the corner of 18th and P Streets, NW in Washington DC now houses the consular offices of the Embassy of Iraq.
Author
Publisher Name
Mark Summerfield
Publisher Logo

1 Comment

  1. What a cool building and great info as well, nice work Mark

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.